Re: New trams

"Dave Proctor" <david@spambait.proctor.net> wrote in message
WAJH6.73251$Xl3.4210731@news2.aus1.giganews.com">news:WAJH6.73251$Xl3.4210731@news2.aus1.giganews.com...
> "Vaughan Williams" <ender2000@MailAndNews.com> wrote in message
> > >Theortically yes, butteh prcatice seems to fall far short of teh
> > >theory.  There are numerous places where the tickets available are
> > >limited to the local mode only, so unless you have purchased your
> > >ticket elsewhere, you can't access any multi-modal facilities.
> >
> > Nonsense. All tickets (with the exception of the short trip) are
> multi-mode.
> > The 2-hour is universally available. There are some annoying features,
> like
> > the non-availability of dailies on trams, but these are problems with
> > automated ticketing, not multimodal ticketing.
> >
> > The above shows you know nothing about public transport in Melbourne.
>
> Perhaps he meant what I experienced, when I was unable to buy a Zone 1,2,3
> daily at the Airport West agency (somewhere in Westfield) since it was
only
> in Zone 2.

Well that's a problem, but it doesn't sound like what he describes. I
wondered if he was referring to National Bus not issuing MetCards, but they
still sell multi-modal tickets in paper form.

What you found is, unfortunately, relatively common. Retail outlets tend not
to carry tickets for travel in zones further out than they already are. I
presume it's because the tickets are pre-printed/encoded and they don't want
to get stuck with stock that doesn't sell very well.

You can always buy the ticket for the missing zone while travelling. Based
on a 2 hour ticket, this should only make about 10 cents difference to the
price.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia