R766 re-launch (was: [VIC] R766 test run)

Stuart Thyer wrote:

> Steam loco R766 ran a successful test run last night, Wed 28/2, from
> Ballarat to Bacchus Marsh and return.
> It will be relaunched in to service on Sat 11th March when it runs Melbourne
> to ballarat. For bookings phone 9397 1953

While the OzKosh trip is a reasonable idea for a general public tour, I
don't think it was a good trip to re-launch R766 on. I'm sure that a
large number of Victorian railfans would like to travel on the first
trip behind R766 since it's re-build. However, the length of time spent
in Ballarat is far too long (7 3/4 hours) if you aren't interested in
the activities at Ballarat (OzKosh or Begonia festival).

An extension with photostops would have been good, or R766 should have
been re-launched on a special tour. The final run of R766 as a coal
burner was a great trip from a railfan perspective, its just a pity that
the re-launch won't be anywhere near that good.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au