Re: English Railway Accident

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:55:50 +1000, "Roy Wilke"
<roywilke@notabitlikeanisp.net.au> wrote:

>Seriously, this discussion of the Mark IV and earlier coaching stock in the
>UK has led me to wondering about the stock used in the XPT (which is
>basically the same type of train as the GNER HST125 that was involved in the
>crash). Are the XPT coaches equivalent to the Mark 1 or Mark IV coaches?

The XPT is based on the diesel InterCity 125 (HST) which used Mark lll
(not l or lV) coaches. Mark l was BR's standard post-nationalization
coach dating from the 50s. Then came Marks ll and onwards featuring
monocoque construction as opposed the the Mkl's separate underframe
and body.

The passenger train at Selby was a more modern electric 225 (built for
225 km/h). GNER does run some HSTs but this wasn't one of them.

Regards,

Tom C
W Sussex, UK