Re: English Railway Accident

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 19:25:54 +1100, "keith malcolm"
<kmalcolm@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>> I think you have your definitions mixed up. The DVT/Coaches/Loco
>> combination is push-pull by definition. A train with power cars at
>> each end is a unit train in which some of the cars are being pushed
>> and some pulled at any give time whilst it is moving. Power
>> differences between the two power cars make sure of that.
>
>No I don't. A DVT is a Driving Van Trailer. Trailer as in un powered. So it
>is not push pull, it is propelled but controlled from the front.
>
>Dave Malcolm

In this country - maybe not yours, I don't know - the DVT/coaches/loco
is definitely a push-pull. When it's propelled it's being pushed and
when hauled by the loco it's being pulled - hence "push-pull". These
were brought to the attention of the public some years ago when a
push-pull was derailed in Scotland by a cow (mentioned earlier in this
thread).

The old-style Gatwick Expresses were often referred to as push-pull
but this wasn't entirely true as the luggage van was actually powered
but was only rated at a fraction of the loco's power. These vans were
actually converted EMU cars.

I can understand why some people call top and tailed loco formations
push-pull; but the pushing and pulling happen simultaneously.

Cheers,

Tom C
W Sussex, UK