Re: English Railway Accident

keith malcolm wrote:

> chris 'fufas' grace <chris@transdata.co.nz> wrote in message
> 3AA021D9.CDC327BC@transdata.co.nz">news:3AA021D9.CDC327BC@transdata.co.nz...
> > Yes you do. You have just described classic push-pull operation. When
> > the DVT is at the front of the train, it is being pushed. When it's at
> > the back, it's being pulled. Exactly the same as the original push
> > pull with a steam engine at one end and a driving trailer at the
> > other.
> >

> Actually the problem is the misinterpretation of terms. In Australia a push
> pull train is one with a loco at both ends, like out XPTs or your HSTs. Just
> remember you are in aus.rail and not uk.rail. I'm not having a go at you
> either.

In fact, BOTH are push-pull since at any given time some vehicles are
being pushed and some pulled due to differences in power output
between the two locos or power cars.

If Australia has chosen to apply its own naming conventions to
something that is clearly defined and understood elsewhere in the
world (where the concept was invented), that's Australia's problem.
And, just as a matter of interest, I'm not in the UK, I don't have
access to a server that carries uk.rail, I lived in Sydney for some
years, and I've been contributing to this newsgroup since the mid 90s,
so I'm not exactly UK biased.

--
For a dining "experience" visit the "Killer Prawn" in Whangarei!
Be served and charged for food *without even ordering it*!