Re: Box Hill Tram update

Chris Gordon wrote:

> > Where abouts in Box Hill do the plan on terminating it?
> > Does it actually go into the mall at all? or does it terminate adjacent
> > to the mall?

As Chris said, it will terminate in Whitehorse Rd at Market Street.

Like you I think it should take a right into Market St and terminate at
the station, but that would be too handy for passengers/transfers.

I have also heard that one reason for terminating it in the median of
Whitehorse Rd is that there is pressure from such outfits as Box Hill
High School (further along Whitehorse Rd past Dorking Rd) to extend it
to Middleborough Rd.

It's a few years now since I lived in Box Hill and last time I visited
(1997) I didn't check out anything east of Station Street, but when I
was a kid there, the library occupied the median strip of Whitehorse Rd
past Station St and there were a fair few other things in that median
too.

Is the library still there, or other things that would have to be moved
for a tram extension past Station St?

And what about the White Horse, which IIRC was in the median just before
Market St and would have to be moved to make way for the current tram
extension proposal?

And just on that issue, is Box Hill still dry (ie without pubs)? The
White Horse statue stood outside a famous pub until pubs were banned in
Box Hill (didn't stop my old man drinking though, he went to the
Doncaster Inn and even had a sly grog shop in the petrol station behind
the Inn for his Sunday drinking, which was called "the Catholic Hour"
for some reason he never explained).

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand