Re: DSRM

Chris wrote...

> How much really do you think you they will get for the road transport
> equipment?

The road transport equipment consists of a prime mover, tri-axle trailer and
quad-axle low loader float. Probably worth about $60,000. Not much in the
grand scheme of things, but it all helps. It also means a savings of about
$10,000 a year in related costs (insurance, registration etc).

> The museum will have to put up collateral to a financial
> institution to borrow money,

We have already borrowed to buy the 53 acres adjacent to the railway yard.
This land has been fully paid for, so we have both a track record of paying
off a mortgage, and collateral.

> then you have public insurance, and the road to
> upgrade - won't the council do it for free as the museum anticipates large
> crowds visiting Dorrigo and causing a spin off to the local economy or has
> the museum got them off side?

The former mayor was the founding vice-president of GMR (or the Friends as
they were known then). Obviously there was some friction. We are hopeful
that the current council may be more sympathetic.

> Then you have to prepare at least some of the collection to a suitable
> standard, and vandal and safety proof the rest as well a building toilets,
> shop, sheds, carpark, lighting, drainage, and general landscaping.

Some of this work has already been started. We can do some temporary work
arounds (eg: portable toilets). We know its a big ask, but we are crazy
enough to give it a go.

> You will
> probably also have problems getting council approval to open or build
> structures as some of the locals will complain (can the museum afford more
> legal fees in the Land and Environment Court)

We have developement approval.

> Even with a small volunteer
> labour force doing work the work you will have to use paid labour if you
> don't want to be opening in the year 2010 or later, so you will have to
> borrow at least a million. I don't think the banks will lend that sort
money
> as the museum has no assets, as they will be held in a proposed trust.

The museum has assets (see above).

Trevor