Re: [Qld] Weird Brisbane train

"James C." <james_ccj@optusnetdotcomdotau> wrote in message
3abb4ce8$0$25490$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3abb4ce8$0$25490$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> .net.au...
> >
> > "Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > UHnu6.616$R.21790@ozemail.com.au">news:UHnu6.616$R.21790@ozemail.com.au...
> > > I got onto a Gold Coast train tonite consisting of sets 107 and 105.
> They
> > > had obviously been in for a minor overhaul as they both had yellow
> doors.
> >
> > (snip of description)
> >
> > I'm just guessing here, but maybe it's been modified for the Brisbane
> > Airport line in May?
>
> I though they are going to use SMU 220 instead of the very heavily utility
> IMU?

Some notes about this posting thread.

Firstly, an "accessibility upgrade" (i.e. for disabled people) is being
carried out across the fleet, which I'd posted about in groups.yahoo.com in
"qrhistory".  IMU 105+107 appear to be one of the first beneficiaries of
this program.

The IMUs are probably being rebuilt first (compared to EMU, say) just in
time for Airtrain.

In other news, SMU 243, 244, 245 (at least) have been tweaked to run at 115
km/h - these guys have the letters "HS" prominently displayed on the cab
ends (opposite the set number).  This helps with the on time running when
IMU's cannot be assigned to a service with the IMU timing pattern.  (And
IMUs are pretty scarce at the moment with the accessibility upgrades and
all.)

Lastly I believe two new IMU sets *may* be available in time for the early
May Airtrain opening date.

Brendan