Re: Carr road rescue derails train lin

kingpin1@ozemail.com.au wrote:

> 'Twas a dark and stormy night on Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:15:29 +1000 as David
> Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> took time out from the neverending quest to
> rid the world of grues and wrote:
>
> > The Carr Government's big fix for Sydney's rail system is all but
> > abandoned, with no money or timetable to build the vaunted
> > Parramatta-Chatswood link. Instead, the Premier has promised to replace
> > by 2006 the overcrowded Windsor Road with a four-lane highway "all the
> > way to Windsor", at a cost of $323 million.
>
> Very predictable.

Hi all

I wonder has any one caught on that with the additonal two lanes and new alignment
on Windsor Rd will probably have the effect of channeling more traffic onto the M2
tollway which will no doubt please everyone in 2WS land and also the share holders
in the tollway which after all belong to the electorate that really matters i.e the
financial markets. With the net effect of this short-term decision is that more
people will drive instead of using public transport, increased C02 emmisions and
increased traffic gridlock around the Lane Cove area.  While the rail link would be
competition to the tollway. For the $323m spent on the Richmond-Blacktown railway
would probably buy you a dual track line all the way to Richmond. and may be a
branchline to Kellyville.

Any other thoughts on this?

-greg