Re: Bye Bye Overland?

"Daniel Bowen" <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote in message
1Kiv6.23046$992.143055@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:1Kiv6.23046$992.143055@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> "Anita Lukaszyk" <neety@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
> 3ABD877F.1A6EE43@iprimus.com.au">news:3ABD877F.1A6EE43@iprimus.com.au...

> > > How much is Cityrail charge for Newcastle-Central?
> >
> > http://www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/tickets/fares/faresframe.htm
> >
> > $19.40 Adult Off Peak Return
>
> Hmmm... What's the trip time comparison, from, say, city centre to city
> centre?

Let's see.  Newcastle city (train station) to centre of Sydney (call it
Central, nice easy place everyone knows about).  30 minutes from Newcastle to
Williamtown, then 30 minutes for check-in and boarding time.  40 minutes for
flight, then 20 minutes to get baggage and out of the terminal.  Then call it
15 minutes to get to Domestic terminal station and train it to Central.  Total
time: 2 hours, 15 minutes, give or take 5.  The Flyer takes 2 hours 24 minutes
according to my timetable, and that would be the best train.  Of course, most
people flying from Newcastle to Sydney would probably be business travellers,
therefore no baggage, so take some time off for that.

For me, driving from Newcastle to Sydney is the way to go.  I live near the
northern end of the freeway, and since the Eastern Distributor opened, I've
been able to get from the airport to home in 1 hour 45 minutes.