Re: Canberra branch closed part

Can't remember where, but I also read ages ago something about the extended
"branch" to Civic. From vague recollection it was very rudimentary - track
just laid on dirt - with very little earthworks. I think it branched off
before Canberra stn and basically followed the contour in a large arc to
Civic. This was loooooong before the lake. It was just used for construction
material if I recall.
I stand ready to be corrected and wish I could remember where I read it.
Possibly a Bulletin or Digest, or maybe Railway News, but I don't think it
was in the last 10 years. I recall some photos. Professor Eddie's historical
recollection abilities are much better than mine. Ring any bells Eddie?

In similar vein, if you drive up to the lookout on Red Hill at the bottom
(don't know the street) you drive over an overpass looking remarkably
similar to a railway overpass. There is formation looking like railway
formation on railway type gradient but the clearance height is much smaller
than railway loading gauge. I don't recall ever reading about tracks over
there (seems like an unlikely place for a railway) so does anybody know what
the formation is and why go to the trouble of such a substantial bridge.
Stormwater channel is the thing which comes to mind but even that wouldn't
need such a substantial civic work. We are talking about ACT though so
anything is possible.

Over to you.

3Ozw6.5311$45.27741@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:3Ozw6.5311$45.27741@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...