Re: Canberra branch closed part

In article <3Ozw6.5311$45.27741@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, Philip Shortus
<Shortus@bigpond.com> writes:
>I heard there was a railway between the existing canberra station and a
>canberra civic station which was only open for 1 year? Is this true can
>anybody give me some info on the sidings that branch of near canberra
>station?
>Thanks
>mark

The railway line was meant to be the first part of a through line from
Canberra to Yass and was completed in May 1921. It was apparently closed
after the bridge over the Molonglo River was destroyed by flood in July 1922.
The line was dismantled in 1940. For further details refer to 'Railways of
the Canberra and Monaro Districts' by HJW Stokes, published by ARHS Canberra
1984.

Robert