RE: [NSW] Noise from stabled CityRail trains

To the interested.

On my last visit to Mt. Victoria, it was Sunday 28th of January 2001 (Posted
message about that) It was a very foggy day (too foggy you could not even
see
the signal west of Mt. Victoria station, not even Mt. Victoria Yard!!!) and
one I may never forget.

I'm not sure if this post may relate to this topic, after taking my walk
around Mt Victoria (I love Mt Viccy so much I'm going back there when I get
the chance) I was walking back to the station, just passing I believe a
block
with an old craft store (got a picture with the owner outside posing) and
the
police station, I heard a strange mechanic noise. Approaching the station it
started to get noticable.
I arrived at the station, the noise didn't seem to come from this:

http://www.geocities.com/microchip_689/images/v62_mtvictoria.htm
but was comming from somewhere else.

It was about 45mins til my train departed. I walked back out of the station
(With the CSA knowing), went through the museum they had there before
getting
back to the station.

The picture I was taking (pasted above) I had heard another loud noise when
at
the end of the platform, but could not see a darn thing in the fog!
I then approached the Signaller (having a smoke) standing outside the box if
there were any trains stabled in the yard and he said yes, one.

What I'm curious about is was the noise relating to this post here and what
the hell is a V-SET doing in the yard at that time and date?!? (28/1/01-
Sunday around 4pm!)

Hope this has interests
Maikha "V" Ly
http://www.geocities.com/microchip_689

>===== Original Message From "Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> =====
>The Blue Mountains Gazette contained an article today concerning locals at Mt
>Victoria complaining about the noise from stabled V-sets.  Numerous sets are
>stabled every night with some stabled for the duration of the weekend.  The
>cars are stabled with pantographs raised and the noise was put down to the
>compressors and generators.
>
>Why aren't these sets stabled with their pantographs lowered each evening and
>thus compressors and generators (I didn't know these made perpetual noise)
>off?  Regarding other locations I've noticed that most (all?) cars stabled at
>Penrith have their pantographs raised while cars (air-conditioned) stabled on
>Blacktown's down refuge had their pants down last Saturday.
>
>Chris

"Behind every troll on newsgroups, is a human being, in a house, on a
computer" (Maikha Ly)