RE: [NSW-Tas] Cooperation within the rail preservation movement

>===== Original Message From eclaire@iinet.REMOVE.net.au (Ross Parker) =====

>So is there something happening (or has something happened) with
>regard to restoration of the rack railway at Queenstown? I remember
>Scott McGregor mentioning there was talk of it during the Tassie
>section of his "Railway Journeys Around Australia" a few years ago....

Very much so.

See http://www.tased.edu.au/tasonline/railtas/pres/abt2.htm  for a photo of
the new depot in Queenstown. Track relaying continues, one of the Abt stean
locos is back up and running, with another on the way, and one of the
original
Vulcan-Drewry diesels is already back on the West Coast and helping with the
construction work.

The project hasn't escaped difficulties, including a derailment and several
equipment failures, as well the the usual criticisms about the extent of
public funding. Also, some heritage aspects of the new line appear to have
suffered given commercial priorities.

(I hasten to add, this is not first hand knowledge, just stuff I have picked
up via the press and web!)

James