Re: [Melb] Ticket machines 'overused'

This pre-purchase rubbish has got to stop - for good

Do they want free credit? (like Transurban Citylink with their minimum $25
pledge) [not shouting...] WOULD THEY GIVE US FREE CREDIT?

All the loonies will come posting in - but face it - if I spontaneously
decide I want to catch a train (rare now, as I have to drive to work) - why
can't I turn up, pay
my legal tender and catch the damn thing. There are no milk bars etc nearby
- and if I drive to them, I'll likely be late for the train. But there is a
guy who sells newspapers on my station - but he isn't allowed to sell
tickets (more B-S) what sort of crazy world are we living in

If I can't spontaneously catch a train - I'll drive - my car doesn't ask for
credit.

Two more arguments I'll preemptively refute
1. I live in the boundary of two zones - its fine for me to prepay tickets
for one zone but should I have to prepay for the other as well? What about
all 3 types (1,2, 1+2) should I have to have a veritable assortment of
different ticket types at my disposal? And where I work I can catch
different public transport, should I have to have separate tickets for that
as well? When I was in HK - one ticket - the eight legs card - and it
debited the exact fare as it went. No dramas.
2. I am biased towards my car for spontaneous journeys - the train will have
to prove itself to get my journey - I suspect most people think the same and
until railfans, public transport managers and unions grasp this fact, rail
will always be in the doldrums. I have a BP card for my petrol - I don't
even need my wallet if I drive short distances as I leave it in the car and
it is pin-protected. When will rail be this convenient?

RC