Re: [Melb] Ticket machines 'overused'

David McLoughlin wrote:

> david lindstrom wrote:
> >
> > Ticket machines 'overused'
> >
> > By STEPHEN CAUCHI
> > Tuesday 12 June 2001
> >
> > The owner of Melbourne's public transport ticketing system
> > yesterday blamed over-reliance by commuters on ticket machines
> > for widespread dissatisfaction with the system.

... after trying to convince everyone to get their tickets from the
machines in the first place!

> > OneLink said that far too many commuters were using the
> > machines, which it said should have an "insignificant" role in
> > the $330 million ticket system.

In this case, why do we need OneLink?  Maybe THEY should be scrapped!

> I tell you, I nearly spluttered over my keyboard when I read this
> effrontery in the online Age this morning. The passengers are to blame
> for the problems with One Link's useless ticket machines because
> passengers are using them. If they didn't use them, there would be no
> problems.
>
> Jesus wept.

And the stupid thing is.....

My local milk bar owner gave up fighting OneLinkless a fair while ago,
while trying to get useful tickets to sell. O-L simply refused to issue
him
with the more useful useful tickets (weekly, monthly, 1+2+3 daily,
etc) simply because the only thing that goes past the milkbar door are
National buses (you know, the ones that often leave several minutes
early
or many minutes late, refuse to install validators, etc). This
particular
milk bar usually has a very good supply of concession and zone 3-only
tickets, which most people don't want/need (they get the bus co's
tickets
instead, which are in many cases cheaper). It doesn't matter that this
particular milk bar is roughly in the middle of a triangle formed by 3
local railway stations, all within about 2.5km of the milk bar!

--
Mick Stock
 mstock>NOSPAM<@bigpond.net.au