Re: Where to get a horn

Jonathan Boles wrote:

> I think this may have been answered already, but how much pressure does it
> take to blow a single-chime horn, and can you just multiply for multichime
> horns?
>
> --
> --
> Rgds
> J. Boles
> Sydney, Australia

Pressure required remains the same (depending on the diaphragm
thickness) regardless of how many horns you have on the end, but more
horns require more volume of air to maintain the pressure for more than
a short *blat*. There are several web pages around, at least one of
which was mentioned here a couple of months ago, with photos of air
receivers to drive the horns. Some of those have quite large cylinders,
which help to sustain several longer *phaaarp*s.

Of course, as I mentioned earlier, if you thin the diaphragm, you'll
reduce the pressure required to drive it.

Have fun!
--
Peter Homann
Steam Fireman, Pichi Richi Railway