Re: [Vic] Footscray Accident - Photo's

"Rod [comtrain]" <freight_man@hotmail.com> wrote in message
3b1ee19f$0$25514$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3b1ee19f$0$25514$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> I am sorry to contradict but the chains were holding up loose gear
> underneath, as their is no way a responsible decision could be made to
> secure 300 tons of train together with such flimsy chains.

This is the *brave new world* post privatitasion we are talking about. |-)

> I take your point that the train could be very carefully pushed from the
> rear whilst the front was being restrained by another powered unit. But
> The speed would be walking pace only.

Indeed, it left Footscray, I drove to Yarraville, watched it go past, drove
to Spotswood, this time exposing a plate or 2, and still got to Newport
before it.

> I would also imagine spacers would be in place to prevent further damage
> to the equipment. A form of spacer would be a heavy piece of  Red gum
> chained in place, and that would only be used if the original couplings
> were so damaged they could not be easily replaced.

Nope, the cars were seperated, the mangled couplings oxy'd off, then the
cars were shoved together and loosly chained.  One of the chains was run
through the end door, out a window, back to the other car on the outside,
and in the window.  They did the shunting over the mobile phone, so on one
occasion the cars were quite heavily rammed together in the process, quite
entertaining to watch as a bystander.

--
B.

Email - b at four12 dot net
ICQ#  - eight two three two nine seven three four
Phone - long, short, long, long.