Re: disused platforms?

"Matt Dunn" <md3474@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
sVpT6.455$qJ4.13940@ozemail.com.au">news:sVpT6.455$qJ4.13940@ozemail.com.au...
> i've only just discovered this group, along with my reasonably newfound
> desire to know the history of the sydney suburban rail system. why? i have
> no idea. it's never interested me before, but the more i use it the more i
> want to know. so please forgive me if i touch on anything that's been
asked
> before or if i use the wrong terminology ... i'm a bit of a newbie at
this!

> first question: what were the tunnels behind platform 10 at redfern
station
> intended for and how long have they been there in that state?
>
> second question: i get on and off at st. peters every day to go to and
from
> work in george street, right next door to town hall station. what was the
> purpose of the island platform across from platform 1 at st. peters and
what
> appears to be a disused platform further along at erskineville station?
all
> the way along almost to the area just behind macdonaldtown station, there
> seems to be a space where a line of some description once ran, along with
> handful of what appear to be blocked tunnels and former bridges over
roads.
> can anyway tell me what these were about???
>
> thanks for your indulgence. i'm sure i'll find plenty more to ask about.
>
> matt.

The platforms behind #10 at Redfern are indeed used by Eastern Suburbs to
Illawarra line trains [platforms 11 & 12]. There is an incomplete structure
above these platforms which was intended for the South Eastern Subs lines
[Mascot. Botany, etc.]

The space on the western side of the tracks between Sydenham and
Erskineville was intended as additional tracks between those points. The
work stopped in the 50s and was not completed as part of the Illawarra
Relief/Eastern Suburbs project. in the 70s.

Geoff Lillico