Re: [NSW] September 2001 timetable and Millennium train delivery

"Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message news:<9fi5k9$p4a$1@tomahawk.unsw.edu.au>...
> If a new timetable will be introduced from September this year after the
> East Hills quadruplication and Kiama electrification works are complete,
> should we expect any increases in services on other lines apart from the two
> mentioned?
>
> It seems like "due to the lack of carriages", that we probably won't and
> there'll probably be another timetable out when the Millennium carriages
> come into full service...
>

> --

Speaking of new timetables and increasing services, I would like to
see Cityrail fully utilize the turnback facility at Martin Place
during the peak hours. If they run the train empty (like they do to
the G-sets) from Mortdale straight to Martin Place, Cityrail can
increase the peak hour frequency from the current 12/hr to 18/hr on
the Illawarra line by running empty trains to Martin Place at 10
minute intervals without delaying following services. The Illawarra
line needs the extra trains, and not the people going to Bondi
Junction.

The problem is, with over half the Mortdale trains comprising of
R-sets(due to lack of cars there are not many S-sets running on the
Illawarra), there is probaby very little chance of any spare sets
available to run the extra 6 trains in the peak.