Re: Re: [NSW] September 2001 timetable and Millennium train delivery

On 6 Jun 2001 09:54:35 -0700, kv1kv1@onecooldude.com (Horny Dog...)
wrote:

>Speaking of new timetables and increasing services, I would like to
>see Cityrail fully utilize the turnback facility at Martin Place
>during the peak hours. If they run the train empty (like they do to
>the G-sets) from Mortdale straight to Martin Place, Cityrail can
>increase the peak hour frequency from the current 12/hr to 18/hr on
>the Illawarra line by running empty trains to Martin Place at 10
>minute intervals without delaying following services. The Illawarra
>line needs the extra trains, and not the people going to Bondi
>Junction.

You seem to think Mortdale has an abundance of spare sets sitting
around doing nothing!  That is not the case!

>The problem is, with over half the Mortdale trains comprising of
>R-sets

Pardon?  How do you figure that?

Sector 1 has 6 tangaras, 9 S sets, and 8 R sets allocated.  A total of
23 sets, 8 of which are R sets, making 34.8%.  Considerably less than
"over half the Mortdale trains".

>(due to lack of cars there are not many S-sets running on the
>Illawarra)

Really?

>, there is probaby very little chance of any spare sets
>available to run the extra 6 trains in the peak.

Now you're getting the picture.  Bring on the new trains!

David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
These comments are made in a private