Re: Worse than CityRail

David Bennetts wrote:

> > C.O.W.S. Page 11.
>
> You're pretty close to the mark David.  In brief, London Underground
> services mainly consist of two types of train (Docklands is a bit different
> with a fair amount of elevated track) - there are the "sub-surface" lines
> with conventional size rolling stock, this runs in the open out in the
> suburban areas, but under the city is in "cut and cover", with a lot of air
> spaces in between, this let the smoke out in the old steam days.  I didn't
> say steam, because the locos employed condensing equipment which accounted
> for most of the steam.

They were fitted with condensing equipment, but this was not often
used because it made the water in the tanks too hot an caused injector
problems.

The Tube (many people use this term erroneously to
> describe the whole of the Underground) itself is of deep construction under
> the city area, but it also runs on the surface in suburban areas.

The system was originally built privately. The sub-surface lines were
originally the Metropolitan and Metropolitan District Railways, the
Circle Line being partly owned by both companies and a joint service
run. The deep lines have a complicated history but basically were
built by three companies/groups, The Central London Railway and the
City and South London  built the Central and part of the Northern
Lines respectively and the Piccadilly, Bakerloo and the rest of the
Northern built by an American financed company which became the
Underground Electric Railways of London which incidentally also owned
the District Railway, the Metropolitan Electric and London United
Tramways, and eventually the London General Omnibus Co.

--
For a dining "experience" visit the "Killer Prawn" in Whangarei!
Be served and charged for food *without even ordering it*!