Re: State Rail - No, State Joke. [NSW]

"Bradley Torr" <truenorth@one.net.au.SPAMTRAP> wrote in message news:<01c0e99d$691fc180$9e2365cb@default>...

> <snip>
>
> This is one reason why I support a Greater Sydney Council, as is found in
> the large English cities - or possibly a county form in Government, like in
> the United States. The metropolitan government would have the power to levy
> sales, income and property taxes to pay for public works of a metrpolitan
> nature. The Greater Sydney Council could run the buses (screw the Bosnjaks
> and the like, westies deserve better), CityRail suburban trains, the fire
> brigade, Sydney Water, etc. etc. This is unlikely though, as the higher
> levels of government are extremely reluctant to give the levels beneath
> them any power over taxation whatsoever.... <snip>

Here in Brisbane we have an all powerful council such as you suggest,
and it has achieved very little.  Just look at Brisbane City Council's
record, under administrations of either political persuasion:

Rapid and completely unjustified abandonment of a superb street
tramway system (1969)

A dilapidated system of diesel buses, many of them without air
conditioning, and in many cases duplicating routes already served
extremely well by QR CityTrain.  (Ok - I admit that Brisbane's bus
system isn't that bad compared to other cities, but it barely achieves
the same patronage as the trams did when Brisbane's population was
much lower than today).

Outright obstruction of at least three QLD Government attempts to
re-introduce Light Rail into the CBD and inner suburbs.

Axing of weekly and monthly bus tickets, causing an immediate drop in
bus Patronage at a time when rail patronage is growing steadily.

Little or no cooperation with attempts to introduce integrated
ticketing.

There is no way I would hand public transport policy to local
councils, although State and Federal governments are little better.
In my opinion, the only answer is regional transit authorities, with
the ability to raise funding via levies restricted by law to no more
than a certain level.

I hate to think what would happen if CityTrain ever ended up under BCC
control.

cheers,
Colin