Re: [NSW] CityRail Ticketing (longish)

I always assumed that when it said it could only give up to $19.90 in change
it meant exactly that. It could give back $19.90 per transaction. If the
fare was $20.10 (heaven forbid) and you put two twentys in it would give you
$19.90 back in change (coins of course.)

I might be mistaken.

Michael

"GLEN STEPHEN REYNOLDS" <glen1079@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> "Al" <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Two events have happened lately that really have made me think twice
about
> > using CityRail trains.
> >
> > Firstly, I rocked up at Thornton the other day and went to the window to
> get
> > my ticket (only had a $50 note and didn't want 23 $2 coins in my
pocket).
> The
> > guy tells me that tickets are only sold at the machine, but changed the
> note
> > for me no problems.  A couple of days later, same station, same problem,
> go to
> > the window to change it, and the guy bites my head off, saying "By
railway
> > law, you've got to carry as close to the exact fare as possible."  Now,
is
> > that true?  Secondly, why are they all helpful one day, then treat you
> like
> > shit the next? After all, I'm only trying to do the right thing, and BUY
> > TICKET.  I can't remember if it was the same guy or not (the impression
> got
> > was that the guy was just being lazy and didn't want to have to add up
50
> with
> > 5s, 10s and 20s).  Finally, why can't the ticket machines give change
back
> in
> > notes?  It can't be that hard to do.
> >
> > Secondly, yesterday me and the better half decided to go down to Sydney
> for
> > the day.  Go to Morisset, and ask for a return to Cowan and a
Daytripper.