Re: "Whitton" type trestle near Old Junee

On Sat, 03 Mar 2001 12:31:42 +1100, Bruce Greening
<norrail@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Thankyou for publishing this work. I was on site for a time during the
>possesion when the new bridge was being constructed, and have some photo's
>if you would like them.
>
>Just a comment on the "Whitton" type bridges common in NSW.
>
>Ehile they look nice, they are a very diffucult structure to maintain, and
>they have very many components that make their maintenance cost so
>expensive, that in general they are not maintained.

Thy were maintained when in use and had had the advantage of being
able to keep the track flat by adjusting the ballast when the timbers
saged.

>I also canot understand why 'squared' timber is used. By removing so much of
>the log a great deal of good timber is thrown away. In Qld the use of a much
>simpler (Yhough not ballast deck) timber structure, using round logs has
>resulted in the bridges being maintained to a much higher astndard than in
>NSW.

This is true but by squaring the timber the bridge itself becomes
lighter, thus able to carry more weight. I think you are comparing
what is called an openings in NSW with a Truss Bridge.

>Lambing Flat wrote:
>
>> I have just added another section to the Lambing Flat page.
>>
>> It is an Archival Recording of the "Whitton" style trestle that up till
>> about last week, carried the Junee to Narrandera line over Houlaghans
>> Creek near Old Junee.  For the benifit of overseas readers, this line is
>> in NSW, Australia.
>>
>> It can be accessed via the Lambing Flat main page, address below, or
>> entered direct at
>> http://www.geocities.com/james_mcinerney2000/index.htm
>>
>> About time I did that stock wagon article too, isn't it! :-)
>>
>> --
>> DPC James McInerney
>>
>> STOP!  In The Name Of The Lore!
>>
>> At http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/ , "Lambing Flat's" mainpage for the HO
>> model and NSWGR information.
>> Or http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/rvrtitle.html  for the "Rurr Valley
>> Railway", my G gauge garden line
>
>--
>Bruce L. Greening
>
>Norrail@optusnet.com.au
>http://members.optusnet.com.au/~norrail

Terry Flynn

For up to date HO scale model railway standards go to
http://www.freeyellow.com/members/trainstandards/index.html
Includes extra finescale standards improved P87 and correct wagon weight formulae.