Re: "Whitton" type trestle near Old Junee

Thanks for this.

A question about Whitton trestles and your measurements (not that it matters
all that much).

In many documents they are referred to as "24 foot ballast top openings",
with the 24 foot denoting "span". Ever since I measured a 7 span version at
Michelago (with imprecise measuring gear) I have been convinced that it was
in fact a 25 foot "span", centre to centre, leaving 24 foot clear span
between footings after allowing for the thickness of the vertical timbers.

You now have 26 foot spans halved to 13 feet.

Deane style trestles seem to stick with the 24/clear-25/centre maximum span.

Comments?