Re: [NSW] Plasma's at Redfern

Slightly off this particular topic, got the 5:00 Bundaberg Tilt home Roma
Street to Nambour yesterday. For the first forty minutes of the trip the
cabin power kept shutting down (every minute or so) ie. only emergency
lighting, no video/audio, no toilet.

As we were on our way through Northgate an announcement was made advising of
a minor electrical fault which Someone and Trevor, our drivers were working
at fixing. Passengers were asked not to use the toilets when the cabin
lighting was off as the toilet would not operate.

Now for the link between this and the thread: The video monitors never got
time to 'warmup' before the power went off again. At one stage, for a matter
of only a second or two the monitor showed what looked omniously like a Mac
desktop. Is there an Apple on the train or is it controlled in some other
method.

OT again, is the audio entertainment run off CD/Cassette or is it broadcast
to all trains from a central location? I ask this because on my first trip
to Rocky I set my walkman to autotune and it was picking up the channels the
tilt train plays. Can't remember the freq. but have a feeling it was near
the upper end of the FM band. This was on the run north of Bundaberg.

Cheers,
Michael

"Matthew Geier" <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
9713b7$l4l$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au">news:9713b7$l4l$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au...
> For the last couple of days at least (possibly longer) the Plasma
destination
> indicators on platform 12 at Redfern have been displaying different
things.
>  The 'country end' indicator is 7 minutes fast, so it's countdowns to the
> next train are all -7 minutes.
>  The station staff have apparently reported it, but no one has yet
bothered
> to fix it.
>
>  I just knew putting a PC in EVERY enclosure was going to be trouble. :-).
> The orginal Martin Place plasma had one  PC running the 4 platform
screens,
> with the video mirrored out to the 8 screens. ( Once saw a windows error
> message half on each platform, identical down each platform's set of
screens!)

>  The final system as implemented seems to require a PC in every enclosure
> and one in the office for the station staff.
>  The ESR platform at Redfern now has 4 PCs in the 4 plasma enclosures,
> and 3 in the control room - DVA, 'plasma', Train Describer. 7 PC's to run
> one platform.
>  Any one would think CityRail is buying PCs simply to keep the market
afoat,
> not 'cause they actually need that many. M$ must be laughing as well.
Thats