Re: Cityrail- On time Running

"Nathan & Mel" <nathan1@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
97d95j$mf9$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au">news:97d95j$mf9$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au...
> This is an extract from the Cityrail web site.People are whinging about
> their trains running late, well this is a few things that you can do, to
> make your trains run on time.

Without passengers trains would have a better chance of running on time.
The advice CityRail gives is very mediocre.

> *1    Board your train quickly
Passengers unfortunately heed this advice literally, instead of point 4
first.

> * 2   Spread out long the platform so as not to overcrowd one carriage

Can be a problem, especially at some stations.  Passengers don't have a clue
about this, so staff should make announcements to encourage this if they
notice a crowd congregating in one particular location.  At some stations in
fact it's better not to do this, eg Chatswood, down platform in the PM peak,
if you're waiting at the city end of the platform you'll find it hard to get
a foothold, whereas there's usually plenty of room left by alighting
passengers at the Hornsby end of the train.

> * 3  Take care on steps and platforms, and always stand behind the yellow
line

You might as well tell passengers to suck eggs.

> * 4  Allow passengers to alight first prior to boarding the train
A large problem - I can remember bellowing at an unruly mob storming onto my
carriage before passengers had alighted - it worked!  On another occasion at
Wynyard a well placed elbow in the stomach of an over-enthusiastic boarded
enabled me to get off the train.

> * 5   Board the train as quickly as possible and move inside the carriage-
> please dont obstruct the doorways

Passengers often do this, particularly school kids with their bags.  Trouble
is, if you're well inside the carriage you may not be able to get off at
your station - see point 4

> * 6   Do not hold the doors open or attempt to board the train after the
> whistle and the "doors closing" warning has been given

Another suck eggs situation

> * 7  Report problems or potential problems to Cityrail station staff.This
> means that staff such as train controllers can organise immediately to
> minimise delays by re-routing trains, effectively plan new paths and
> services or get the relevant incident response team on site quckly if
> required.

Unfortunately the response given from staff is often hostile or unfriendly,
I've encountered this more times than not.  Other posts to this ng indicate
the same, there is a general CityRail attitude that if there is a problem,
it's nothing to do with me and I don't want to know anything about it.

Regards

David Bennetts
Bowral