Re: Finemores to merge with Toll

"Brown Family" <lbrown2@bigpond.com> wrote in message
3a987496.15020572@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:3a987496.15020572@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
| The problem, of course, is that double stacking is not at all
| permitted in or out of the three east-coast capitals. Instead of
| pushing for rails from Alice Springs-Darwin, the money would best be
| spent on allowing double-stacking between all Australian capital
| cities.

Part of Paul keating's "One Nation" was a dedicated freight line from
Macarthur to Enfield to allow double stacking. The miserable amount
allocated though only allowed for Ingleburn to Glenfield.

| If, rather than have inter-modal change over points in the city
| centres as we do in Melbourne and Sydney, but, rather, had them in the
| outer suburbs so that final delivery could be by smaller trucks and
| delivery vans, something that already exists with purely road-based
| haulage, then it removes the need (and the cost) to bring freight
| right into town.

There was one proposed for The Crossroads a few years back, but it got
knocked on the head in the early stages.