Re: Metronet radios

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:09:32 +1100, BEE EFF <mcreely@pnc.com.au>
wrote:

>Glen,
>
>Better to have Motorola than that Philips/Simoco rubbish. Seimens would
>probably be OK(have had no experience with them).
>
>Motorola radios have been used all over the world for train ops with great
>success. Philips/Simoco have been used for State Rails' "CountryNet" and NRC's
>"Aware" radio systems and have had no end of trouble.
>
>Vic Rail have used Motorola for the Metrol/Centrol System with great
>success(and it is years ahead of where State Rail and NRC are now).
>
>Just my personal thoughts, from personal experience
>
>Regards BEE EFF

Motorola have generally in the radio comm business got very good name
for 2 way radios , albeit not cheap though.
The VIC system based on Motorola Micor Bases & Syntrex radios is very
good and has been operational for some 20 years now.
Unfortunately , Victrak have chosen to use proprietary features of
Motorola radios to implement safeworking , a la ASW which means that
you have to have a Motorola Radio in your loco to run train in
Victoria.
I have often wondered if this is legal , as its certainly anti
competetive.
Its sad that every rail jurisdiction in Australia has chosen to go its
own way and implement totally incompatible radio systems , as this
simply adds to the costs of tail operators who need to operate trains
across state borders.
With the latest requirement re the Metronet Radios the farce is
getting even worse.
Seven differant and incompatible radio systems are now needed to run a
train from Brisbane to Perth.

Its a total joke.

MD