Re: Cityrail Station Staff

"Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3a8e6a1f$0$25502$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a8e6a1f$0$25502$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Tony Gatt" <baulko@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> xurj6.938$Db.2716@news1.belrs1.nsw.optushome.com.au">news:xurj6.938$Db.2716@news1.belrs1.nsw.optushome.com.au...
>

> | > So everybody for fuck sake, will you stop whinging about Cityrail, I
> have
> | > had enough of itIf you dont like the train system, please find some
> other
> | > way of getting to work.
> |
> | You are in the minority of staff who do give a rats.. cos most station
> staff
> | DON'T care.
> | They're jobs are safe - they work for the Government..
> |
> | Privatise it and see what happens to the customer service staff.. they
> will
> | actually do that, "Service for the customer"
>

> When it's privatised you won't be able to find any staff.

Thats not entirely correct. Melbourne appointed Premium Stations and these
are the stations that are staffed from first to last train.
The difference that I am getting at is that these staff no longer just kick
around on the platform or sit back in their comfortable chairs at ticket
windows. They are there to help, and that is exactly what they do. They are
employed by a company with a work perfomance charter, not a government body
who have no problem splashing everybody elses money about.

Why do you still need station staff selling tickets when there are two
machines outside the window that do just that?

Why do you need someone to pretend they are there to work the DVA when it
can be triggered by 'train describer numbers' and 'track circuits'? (and
operated correctly)

I can understand the point of people trying to save their jobs when there
are not that many new jobs out there to take on, but the best way to save
their jobs is to justify the existance of that job, and unfortunatly it just
not happening..

Take the initiative and make something of the job, add a bit of prestige
(and don't tell me they don't pay you enough for it, free travel is the
biggest fringe benifit I have ever seen) and give them a reason to keep you
on the stations. If they ever want to get rid of station staff, the biggest
uproar can come from the public (the voting public) and if they are not
behind you, then the union roar will only echo through empty halls..

food for thought?

Tony.