old lines

"Mark A Zanker" <zanker@bigpond.com> wrote
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Subject: old lines
> Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:31:52 +1000
> 21:17:57 EST)
>
> I have a vaguely illegal enterprise in mind, but I need help to carry it
> out.  There are many abandoned lines around this neck of the woods which I
> am interested in exploring to see what they were like, such as Gilmore to
> Batlow, Cooma to Bombala, Cootamundra to Tumut, Wagga to Tumbarumba and I
> know that in most instances, the tracks are still in place largely apart
> from where they have been ripped up or covered over (former level
> crossings), or fenced off.  To carry out the enterprise, I need a fettlers
> trolley, probably manually powered so I can go and have a look at these
> tracks.  Is anyone interested in such an activity, which is a railway
> archaeology project?  please contact me if so.  I am a little physically
> disabled and probably couldn't do this by myself.
> cheers
>
> > That has been a dream of mine for 2 years,
> [snip]
> >
> > The best thing you should do is stick to the "Mothballed" lines up
> north
> > which have good  photographing points
> [snip]
> (I'm sure someone
> > could hire you out a rail trike) please tell I would love too do
> something
> > like that.
GMR is an accredited operator and owner. Trikes (and soon trains) are now
operating under strict safe working rules over the entire line.

Because of the sharp curves and steep grades, visibility on the line is
severely restricted. Illegal operators may suffer or cause serious injury or
death if they collide with GMR trikes.

Because GMR's accreditation took a lot of hard work to achieve, GMR does not
wish to compromise its safety record in any way. Accidents, irrespective of
blame, would also affect GMR's public liability and volunteer risk
insurance.

To that extent, if GMR were to find, or learn of, illegal operators on the
line, it would not hesitate to prosecute, or recommend prosecution to the
NSW Department of Transport. Penalties under the Rail Safety Act for serious
breaches include hefty fines and gaol terms.

Illegal operators also give the entire rail enthusiast movement a reputation
of being irresponsible and unmanageable, a situation GMR wishes to avoid.

Geoff Gordon
gmr@gmr.org.au
http://www.gmr.org.au