Re: Aussie railway slang

"Brian" <brm@global.net.au> wrote in message
981731641.174610@pluto.global.net.au">news:981731641.174610@pluto.global.net.au...

> > It was interesting to note different meanings the Brits give to certain
> > words. For example, "peg" means a semaphore signal, whereas in Australia
> > it often refers to distance post.
>
> I didn't see this subject last time it came up so my contribution this
time
> around is reffering to a Guard as a "sprag".
> Sprag officially per the rules, was a thick piece of wood with pointy ends
> used to stick in the holes or between the spokes of wheels when the hand
> brake was U/S to prevent the vehicle rolling away.
>
> A staff called many things from a pacifier (on back of beyond passengers)
> a waddy.
> A signal of semaphore or coloured light variety as a "stick".
> A shunt signal as a "dolly".
> The old separate compartment type passenger coaches as "dogboxes"
>
> so any how thats my bit
>
> Brian.

A "Jiffy" while shunting is pulling one or more "trucks" towards a set of
points, bunching up to lift the "pin", and then running the engine up one
road, followed by "throwing the points" to allow the trucks to roll up the
other road.

A jiffy can also mean (on loco hauled pass trains) partially releasing and
then reapplying the train brakes just before coming to a stand.

End of Train Markers (ETM's - The flashing light/s at the rear of freight
trains) are called many things, including BOG's or BOG lights (Battery
Operated Guards), Blinky Bills etc.

Isn't there a book on all these things (sensing a business opportunity :))

runaway.