Re: Aussie railway slang

> It was interesting to note different meanings the Brits give to certain
> words. For example, "peg" means a semaphore signal, whereas in Australia
> it often refers to distance post.

I didn't see this subject last time it came up so my contribution this time
around is reffering to a Guard as a "sprag".
Sprag officially per the rules, was a thick piece of wood with pointy ends
used to stick in the holes or between the spokes of wheels when the hand
brake was U/S to prevent the vehicle rolling away.

A staff called many things from a pacifier (on back of beyond passengers) to
a waddy.
A signal of semaphore or coloured light variety as a "stick".
A shunt signal as a "dolly".
The old separate compartment type passenger coaches as "dogboxes"

so any how thats my bit

Brian.