Re: Alice-Darwin Line

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:58:16 +1030, "Robin"
<stationmaster@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Why does not the Government sell shares in the line, I for one
>would give $100 of my hard earned for my name on a concrete
>sleeper, Olson is blind , he can only see as far as Adelaide.
>I for one would not vote for either of the main Political Parties,
>Hanson has nothing to say on the matter.  Not only is the link vital
>fro Defence purposes, Darwin would become a thriving Import / Export
>Facility.   I have a fair bit of information about the proposed line
>on my Web Site.
>
>--
>
>Yours in The Steam
>Robin, The Stationmaster, Peterborough.
>South Australia.
>http://mystation.rrdepot.com/steamtown.htm
>Railways Photos http://communities.ninemsn.com.au/RailwayPhotosAustralia
> My Page2 : http://www.ozemail.com.au/~stationmaster/Gallery.html
>Main Page : http://mystation.rrdepot.com/
>Email: stationmaster@ozemail.com.au
>Photos: http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/Peterborough/

I thought that rather than selling shares in the line a la a
sleeper,the NT Govt could sell the whole line in 1 metre chunks to
interested investors.
A 1 metre length of track would cost you about $1000 and as you would
then be a track owner ,you would be entitled to receive track access
fees for your 1 metre of track.
What a marvelous investment opportunity.
As to the Defence argument, the Defence Dept in their submission to
the initial feasability study for the line , indicated that they could
see NO vital defence requirement for the line , but would use the line
simply as a pure commercial customer , as they occasionally do for the
existing rail network.

MD