Re: NSW Plasma Screen idea

Erk <erk@erkV69.au.com> wrote in message 3a831061@news.iprimus.com.au">news:3a831061@news.iprimus.com.au...

> Instead of the large destination and then the type of stopping pattern (all
> stops, limited stops blah blah blah), why not have the route information (eg
> via Airport) on the second line. It would stop all of this crap (mainly on
> here, I don't know if non gunzel passengers give a rat's rear leg about
> seeing the "all stops" or whatever there) but would care more about the via
> info.
>
> Case in point:
>
> I arrived at Central around 0520 on 1/2 heading to the Airport. On the
> screens on the concourse, there was a train to Wolli Creek on one screen in
> 35 minutes. On another screen, there was a Banko train as train one followed
> by a Campbelltown train which was followed by an East Hills train. Luckily
> for me, I checked the timetable which advised that the Wolli Creek train
> would be the third train via the Airport as both of the East Hills line
> trains before it were going to the Airport as well. At that stage, I was on
> the concourse so DVA was not a factor to help me and I was seriously
> thinking about an Airport bus or a cab.
>
> Comments?

Something like this is a must, even if only for platforms 18, 19, 22 & 23 at
Central.  And just an aircraft symbol adjacent to the destination will do for
Airport Line services, instantly recognisable.

If there is insufficient space to provide essential details then 2 screens are
needed, one for the next train and the other for details of following/other
services.  I seem to recall Brisbane's Central station uses 2 screens like
this to good effect although they use the second screen on each northbound
platform, ie 3, 4 & 6  to show all northbound trains (from platforms 3, 4 &
6).  They use the 2nd screen on all southbound platforms namely 1, 2 & 5 to
show all southbound trains (from platforms 1, 2 & 5) .  [Brizzie natives
please correct if wrong]

As a practical aside does anyone know how the 6:20pm weekday Wynyard to
Penrith service is shown on Wynyard's concourse indicators (this service runs
via the Quay, not over the Bridge)?  Is any announcement made on Wynyard upper
that this Penrith train departs from Wynyard lower?

Chris