Re: Aussie railway slang

On Fri, 09 Feb 2001 13:24:05 +1100, BEE EFF <mcreely@pnc.com.au>
wrote:

>David,
>
>A peg can also be the token for the section on single line(Ordinary Train
>Staff or Electric Staff).
>
>There are heaps of telegraph codes such as the following:
>
>Eden- Total Tonneage despatched since 6am
>Edna- Total Tonneage on hand at 6am
>Onag- Tonneage in Transit
>Fori- To do with tonneage that is delayed for 24hrs or more
>Agad-Total No: of freight & mixed trains that were assisted up
>Wolo-To do with heat affecting the running line
>RovaMech-Special authorisation fo running trains with special loads etc.
>Cuta-Attaching wagons enroute

A friend of mine when I worked for Australian National said that he
and another friend used PYFO (pull your finger out) in some telegrams.
The practice spread to other staff members, but got canned by a terse
instruction from those who must be obeyed that only OFFICIAL code
words were to be used.

Martin