Re: Accelerate Adelaide-Melbourne journey time?

On Fri, 02 Feb 2001 06:33:55 GMT, "Dave Proctor"
<daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>"James C." <james_ccj@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>95dj68$83d$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:95dj68$83d$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
>>
>> > What I was hoping to find out was whether the improvements mentioned
>> in the
>> > initial posting would result in a worthwhile reduction in the
>> Adelaide -
>> > Melbourne (and vice versa) trip times.
>> > I am trying to demonstrate the value of doing the regional fast train
>> > upgrade in standard gauge. I reckon they are nuts if they spend all
>> that
>> > money and don't finish the job by going standard gauge from the
>> >outset.
>>
>> Fast train plan will take account of future SG conversion.
>
>There is a definitive statement if ever I heard one.
>
>Your proof for this?
>
>> I'm guessing
>
>You did manage to get that bit right.
>
>> Overland/Ghan would reduce at least an hour without any improvements on
>> current rolling stock.
>
>Your basis for this statement?
>
>Dave

Ill be absolutely amazed if any of these hi speed rail projects in
Victoria ever get up ,as they are all dependant on private sector
funding.
Governments these days seem to think that the private sector , out of
the goodness of its heart will pay for Government owned infrastructure
without any possibility of getting a commercial return on its
investment.
Passenger trains in Australia simply dont make money,at least nothing
like what investors want.
We have already seen the failed Sydney Airport line , we are currently
seeing the AP-Darwin project struggling to atttract investors.
Its time that Governments woke up to the fact that its their
responsibility to fund railways,not anyone elses.

MD