Re: NT chief warns of rail project collapse

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:52:03 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>Maurie Daly (mauried@tpg.com.au) wrote:
>> For example , based on the consortiums figures ,if the line was laid
>> with 47 KG/M rail , instead of the planned 60 KG/M rail
>
>It WAS planned for 47kg rail!
>
>Cheers
>David

Well then I suggest that an enquiry into the costings of this line are
needed.
$850000 per km for a line laid with only 47 KG/M rail is a total rip
off.
Using costings from Robe River when they were attempting to negotiate
access to Hamersleys line , the price of rails ,ballast , sleepers etc
are all provided, and the total cost of then building a new line using
68 KG/M head hardened rail (ie the heaviest you can get) was only
$800000 per km. ( and this included costs for  significant earthworks
and bridges.)

$850000 per km for 47 KG/M rail is too expensive.

MD