Re: NT chief warns of rail project collapse

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 02:18:52 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>One of the key players in the Alice Springs-Darwin rail line project says
>it could collapse within two weeks unless new investors are found to cover
>a $70 million shortfall. Northern Territory Chief Minister Denis Burke
>warned yesterday of "a major problem" if the funding could not be found.
>
>http://www.theadvertiser.com.au/common/story_page/0,4511,1659868%255E2682,00.html

Does anyone find this explanation a bit dodgy?
If by the above , we are led to beleive that the Consortium has raised
$630 M out of the $700 M , ie the project is just $70 M short ,then
why not simply go ahead with the project but re design part of the
project so that it costs less.
For example , based on the consortiums figures ,if the line was laid
with 47 KG/M rail , instead of the planned 60 KG/M rail ,then the
saving in costs would be around $85 M , more than the shortfall.
There would be other ways to save money as well, eg less crossing
loops.
Tarcoola to AP is only 47 KG/M ,so we dont lose much operational
flexibilty.

MD