Re: Homebuilt train to Orbost

I was thinking of an experimental train.
Think about the cars entered in the Solar Car Challenge, and apply similar
principles to a train.
I envisage a driver, and a small number of passengers. Yes, I know entrants
in the SCC don't carry passengers.
Locomotive would carry driver, large area of photovoltaic cells, maybe a few
passengers.
Carriages would carry a few passengers, and more solar cells.
Possibly have sets, like suburban trains.
Light weight construction, low air resistance.

If solar cars can crack 100km/h, think what steel wheels on steel rail could
do with one or two solar
carriages in tow.

Maybe recoup some costs by giving joy-rides to tourists.

No, it wouldn't be economically viable. Is the SCC economically viable? Or
building a model railway in your backyard?
Or building your own train to go from Orbost to Nowa Nowa?

--
David Martin
Web Developer - FrontPage, ASP, Access