Re: SLR pictures for December

<james_shugg@my-deja.com> wrote in message
939h69$9rr$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:939h69$9rr$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <930n78$80l$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au>,
>   matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au (Matthew Geier) wrote:
> >
> http://www.sleeper.apana.org.au/railway/slr/images/Operations/2000_12_De
> cember/
> >
> >  A few shots taken at Jubilee Park station in late December, and a
> few taken
> > in the City on NYE.
> >
> >  No changes have been made to the advertising lineup since Feburary!.
> >

> When I last travelled on the SLR (W'worth Pk to Central), the journey
> seemed rather slow, with the trams crawling thru Haymarket and never
> seeming to pick up much speed, in contrast to Melbourne trams which
> barrel along at least as fast as the road traffic where they can.

The area through Haymarket is a pedestrian mall hence a 20km/h speed limit
applies,  Melbourne trams don't barrel down Bourke Street mall!!

> But that was before the extension thru Glebe opened.  Do the drivers go
> for it along the viaduct and thru the tunnel?  What speeds to they get
> up to?

Yes!  all speed limits are monitored by the ATP (Automatic Tram/Train
Protection)
system.  The speed limit through Glebe tunnel is 80km/h, and yes the tram
will reach that speed but the brakes must then be immediatley applied for
the exit.  It is much better to accelerate to the high 60s and coast before
appling the brakes for the exit, there are stops at both exits. The speed
limit through all stops and walkways is only 20km/h.  If you stand at the
cab door you can watch the ATP screen and the changing speed limits and the
additional information given by this system, i.e. distance to next change of
speed limit and the limit.  If the driver has not turned down the volume you
will hear the system beeps, first beep = coast, second beep = brake, i.e.
the driver is to apply the brakes, however if he/she doesn't the ATP will
apply the emergency brakes complete with track brake application.

Ted