Re: 1st class in Overland &XPT?

James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com> wrote in message
93eofc$ckb$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:93eofc$ckb$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

> > According to the Countrylink site, "first class" reclines to 40
> degrees and
> > economy to 28 degrees. On my last ride on an XPT some 18 months ago
> the
> > seats were hard, pitched wrong and uncomfortable. I now fly :-)
>
> To be honest with you, I find flying is not a bad idea at all.
>
> <<Insert flame here>>
>
> Few weeks ago I planned to go to Sydney but could not get a seat on XPT
> (surprise!!) forced me to fly. But by doing so I saved one day
> accomadation and able to gunzel around as soon as I got to Sydney. I
> booked an early fly out of Melbourne and was gunzeling around Newcastle
> by midday.
>
> Same thing last year when I paid a visit to Sunshine state, I booked an
> early fly to Brizzy and by the end of that day I had visited my old
> neighbor, gunzeled at Roma Street and hang around Gold Coast.
>
> But I definitely won't take plane to anywhere else.(ie. Adelaide) Only
> those routes serve by XPT.

Similar thing for me.  Planning on going to Melbourne for Australia Day long
weekend, and didn't want to drive this time (been down there from Newcastle
twice over the last 6 weeks, and needed the car for flexibility).  Thought
about taking the train, so compared train fares with flights (from Sydney).
Train $110 each way.  Plane could choose from $72, 96 or $108 each way.

So why catch the train??  Unless I really want to see the route.. which I
wouldn't mind doing, but I need to have more time to do it..

Besides I have bad memories of the last time I caught the XPT to Brisbane.
The conductor abused me for sitting in the wrong seat (1 row behind where I
should have been, someone was sitting in my seat), and despite the reason
being as obvious as his nose, still couldn't accept it.  It took me about 5
minutes to get into the right seat, 3 of which was explaining to him why I was
in the wrong one.  At least on a plane they show you where your seat is.  To
cap it off, I had to carry my bag the whole way as the check in luggage was
full before it left Sydney.

I've also seen how crowded the train gets in holidays and also wonder why the
hell they aren't running more services.  Talk about trying to remove yourself
from your market.

Just my opinion.

Al