Re: [Melb] Batchelor says W-class trams to be back asap

"Daniel Bowen" <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote in message
lIR66.53033$xW4.423343@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:lIR66.53033$xW4.423343@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Batchelor says W-class trams to be back asap
> http://www.theage.com.au/breaking/0101/10/A12744-2001Jan10.html
>

> --
> Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
> dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au
> http://www.danielbowen.com/

  W-class trams will be back

AAP
Wednesday 10 January 2001, 03:48 PM

W-class trams would be back on Melbourne's tracks when they had been
repaired and were safe, the Victorian Government said today.
Transport Minister Peter Batchelor said repairs were being carried out on
the 70-year-old trams after the braking systems wore out, something private
operators claim was not clear when they bought the rolling stock from the
Kennett government.
"That's a view the private companies (Swanston Trams and Yarra Trams) have
put to us, yes," Mr Batchelor told reporters.
He said that in some cases the companies claimed they did not understand the
condition of the original braking systems when they bought the stock.
"We've put that all to one side, and we make no comment whether that's true
or not ... clearly they did buy with their eyes open and they have
responsibility for maintaining it," Mr Batchelor told reporters.
He dismissed State Opposition claims today that the W-class trams were being
left to rot in rail yards as tourism in the city dropped without them.
The opposition also claimed city tourism had dropped 25 to 30 per cent
without the W-class City Circle trams but the government said the service
was still available on modern trams.
Mr Batchelor said safety was a priority after a W-class tram had been in a
serious accident in Seattle where 21 people were injured.
"The W-class trams are much-loved by Melbourne, we want them back in
service, but only when they are safe," he said.
Mr Batchelor said parts were needed from overseas but expected a trial
W-class tram to run around April but could not give any further return date.
"Yes they will come back, I can give you a categorical assurance that
W-class trams will come back," he said.