Re: Abt project on track

<s t u a r t d i x @ h o t m a i l . c o m (S t u a r t D i x)> wrote in
message 3a660d29.468563@newsroom.tas.gov.au">news:3a660d29.468563@newsroom.tas.gov.au...
> He was most likely referring to the fact that four of the original
> Rack tanks survive. Two are to be restored initially, and the other
> two are still privately owned at railway museums in Tasmania and
> Victoria.
>
> Smith has always said he will eventually have all four steam locos
> back, but has never made mention of the owners feelings on this
> matter. Over the past few years Smith has made a number of demands
> (many publicly) to various museums for locos and rolling-stock, but I
> believe these have often been unrealistic and unreasonable, leading to
> a refuasal.
>
> Stuart Dix
> TasTrain web-site
> http://www.tased.edu.au/tasonline/railtas/

Members of the ARHS(Vic Div) and PBPS have recently been advised that the
Premier of Tasmania has written to their organizations asking that the Abt
loco and van currently at the Menzies Creek museum be handed over to the Abt
Railway in Queenstown.

As a railway preservationist I would love to see both the loco *and*
carriages returned to Queenstown provided a commercial price was paid for
them.  I understand that the cost of replacing the four Mt.Lyell carriages
presently used as dining cars on Puffing Billy, would be around $600,000.
My definition of a commercial price is therefore $600,000 plus a
contribution to the ARHS museum at Williamstown.  The reason why the ARHS
comes into it, is that the loco was officially given to the ARHS but the VR
would not allow it to be displayed at Nth Williamstown because it was not
Victorian.  Hence it found a home at Menzies Creek and has been looked after
for the last forty years or so by the museum volunteers at Puffing Billy,
including having a special display ramp built for it.

I think there are two important points that have to be born in mind when
discussing the handing over of assets to this project which have maintained
by volunteers for the past forty years.

Firstly, this project has received a $20 million handout from Federal
taxpayers, i.e. you and me, plus I understand, another $5 million from
Tasmanian taxpayers.  This, of course, in many many times the grants that
any other railway presevation project in Australia has received.

Secondly this is a commercial profit making venture, and not a volunteer,
not for profit undertaking that all other preserved railways in Australia
are.

Hence it is quite reasonable that a commercial price be demanded for the
return of these assets.  I also understand that the operator was not
interested in having the original carriages back as it was believed that
they would be too costly to maintain and hence preferred to have "replicas"
built. This also makes me doubt the credibility of this project as a genuine
restoration project, but simply another attempted money making tourist
venture.  This is fair enough, but again don't expect even more handouts
from the efforts of volunteers.

Thus my view is all or nothing.  Either part with $600,000 out of the $25
million for the carriages and loco or leave the loco and van in the museum
where there they complement the carriage on the track.

Cheers,

John Kerley