Re: [NSW] Picture taking at stations (Please Read)

maikha_l@hotmail.com wrote:

> To All (Especially Sydney-siders)
>
> today after jumping off an inter-urban service at Penrith, I decided to
> take a picture of my train (just got off) departing Penrith with my new
> camera I just got back from servicing.
>
> I managed to get a good shot of V27's rear with the front carriages
> gleaming the evening sun.
> ---------------
> (The Main part)
> ---------------
>
> Just after pressing the shutter, I switched off my camera and put the
> lens cap on, an Indian Cityrail station staff walked up to me and asked
> "Why did you take the picture for?"
> I then replied by explaining "I'm a railway enthusiast, and taking
> pictures of trains is my hobby"
> She then replied saying that "I had to have permission from the State
> Rail Authority to take pictures in the premesis" (!!!!!)
>
> She then led me to the Station Master's office at Penrith Station and
> then I inquired about the picture taking.
>
> "Yes, you must have permission from State Rail to take pics on the
> grounds, as a letter of condolence" the Station Master said firmly.
> Completely shocked, I then explained myself, my interests and hobby
> (photography) but he kept the Permission explanation.
>
> Very shocked I was after those same explanations, I then sincerely
> apologised to him and the staff that "pulled me in" about the matter,
> they were cool about it and the master gave me a compliment
> "Hope you take good pictures"
>
> The serious note, Do we require this "letter of condolence" just to
> have a hobby like this, or were those Penrith Staff just talking c**p
> to me?!?
> If this permission thing is true........(I'll let ausrailer's discuss)

They do not have the right to restrict you from taking photos.  It is a
breach of your civil liberties to do so.  If they have a problem with that,
tell them that the CityRail Media section has no problem with amateur
photographers in public areas.   Media photography needs permission from the
CityRail Media section.

> P.S. I would like to say hello to:
>
> -"Trendy"
> -"Fordghia"