Beating the Odds (was: 5 Dead in XPT accident)

Haven't heard all the facts on the latest XPT accident but you see the most
amazing efforts of natural selection.

I was parked at Clayton Siding (near Bundaberg) one morning last month to
watch the northbound Tilt Train. See train headlight (visibility is very
good on a long straight). See crossing lights activate. See car dive through
crossing under first pair of descending booms.

I'm pretty sure it was deliberate unless the driver was having total brain
fade. He/she/it did a left turn at speed at the T intersection in front of
me onto the crossing and would have seen the train and warning lights - not
to mention the moving boom.

rgds
David Cooper
(remove 'decoy' from address to reply)