Re: NT/Alice Springs Question

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001 20:50:38 +0930, Tell <telljb@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>I have not been down that way for some time, but the
>ONLY triangle I am aware of at Tarcoola was the old
>triangle on the southern side of the east-west mainline
>which formed part of the labour intensive, servicing
>intensive, water intensive steam locos, no wonder they
>embraced diesels as quick as they did. :)
>
>The old triangle still exists, but the loco sheds have
>long gone, it was used occasionally by CR/ANR/AN and
>still exists as far as I know.
>
>ANR did not construct a western triangle leg from the
>Tarcoola to Alice Springs mainline to the Western side
>of the Trans Australian line at Tarcoola.
>
>So, if there is a mainline triangle which allows trains
>to run from the TAR to the TAS and TAS trains to run up
>to the NT without taking the famous/infamous Tarcoola
>branch line, I would be happy to know about it.
>
>....Tell

There is / was a triangle at Tarcoola between the main line CAR and
the TAR.
The points are at mileages 505.4 km ,510.8 km (on the TAR) and 509.9
km.(on the CAR)

I understand that it was built at the time the CAR was constructed in
order to access  a ballast siding on the TAR on the down side of
Tarcoola.
Whether it still exists / is usable , I diont know.

MD