Re: [NSW] Picture Taking at Stations (Part 2)

"Rod Gayford" <rjaygee@eisa.net.au> wrote in message
94vl8o$ffq$1@news.eisa.net.au">news:94vl8o$ffq$1@news.eisa.net.au...
> My view as a legally qualified person is that there is no law against
taking
> photos as long as you are not taking them from rail property.  There is no
> law against taking photos of the general public in a public place as there
> is no common law right to privacy.  As for taking photos from rail
property
> I am not sure that the possession of a valid rail ticket would cover you
as
> it only authorises you to travel by train and not necessarily engage in
> activities that are not incidental to your travel.  Having said that, I
> believe you would be extremely unlucky to be challenged if you kept your
> photo session to a minimum and did not become a nuisance.  Nuisance has a
> fairly wide interpretation and the station manager probably has a wide
> degree of discretion in deciding if someone is a nuisance.  The manager
may
> wish to check your purposes to ensure that you are not a press or
commercial
> photographer to which different protocols exist.

Saw a sign on a London Underground platform (Bayswater?) that banned flash
photography.  The last thing a driver needs is a flash going off
unexpectedly!

Many people will have a photo of a Sydney tram where the driver has raised
an arm to shield their eyes from a flash :-)   So please think ahead if
using a camera in auto mode or if you intend to use the flash.

Ted
<snip>