Re: Will 3801 run to Darwin?

> "Arthur Marsh" <mars0177@flinders.edu.au> wrote:
>
> I'm still waiting to see a SG steam locomotive hauled train travel between
> Melbourne and Adelaide.

Good point, sure is taking a long time.

> Were there any SG steam trips through SA between the opening of the Whyalla
> line in 1972 hauled by 3801 and 3642 and the visit of the Flying Scotsman in
> 1988? I don't remember any other SG steam trips since the Commonwealth
> Railways withdrew their SG steam locos, but then again I'm not old enough to
> remember the Ellen Street station in Port Pirie.

I remember Ellen Street well, made three trips from
Adelaide during 1957 to 1959.  Two were hauled by SAR's
4-8-4 520's and one with good o'l "Lady Norrie" 900 DE.

Just loved the way they reversed all the way back to
Port Pirie junction with the guard ringing a hand bell
to warn road traffic.  No radios back then, he just
kept an eye on the westinghouse "emergency" stop cock
to blow the train down.!

....Tell